Summer Academic Enrichment Program
May 23 - June 30, 2017
October 15 - Feb 1, 2018
Undergraduate college junior and senior and post-baccalaureate students interested in health sciences.
SAEP is an intensive, six-week inter-professional academic enrichment program located on the VCU Health Campus in Richmond, Va. The primary focus of SAEP is to provide students with an academically rigorous experience that simulates the first year of health professional school. Students may choose a concentration from among four disciplines: dentistry, medicine, pharmacy and physical therapy.
- Three core courses: virtual anatomy, physiology, and pharmacology
- Discipline-specific instruction time: dentistry, medicine, pharmacy or physical therapy
- Learning skills and test-taking workshops
- Seminars featuring topics on health disparities
- Mock interviews: faculty from VCU health professions admissions offices will review successful interviewing strategies and pitfalls to avoid
- Group and individual coaching
- Social and networking events
Participants are provided housing and a stipend to cover program expenses. Those traveling from distances greater than 200 miles are eligible for travel reimbursement for up to $250.
Students will apply to only one of four tracks — dentistry, medicine, pharmacy or physical therapy — that will determine their discipline-specific concentration if they are selected for the program.
Requirements for admission to the program include:
- Three complete years of college course work, including organic chemistry I and II (Note: organic chemistry not required for physical therapy track)
- Cumulative GPA of 2.75
- Two letters of reference
- Personal statement
- Strong interest in attending health professions school at VCU
Preference will be given to highly-qualified, underrepresented minority, first generation college, or students interested in serving in under-served communities, but is open to all applicants.
Students must select one program track on the online application, and fill in all fields in order for the form to be considered complete.
Program Contact Information
firstname.lastname@example.org or call (804) 827-0982.